Saturday, May 08, 2010

Dad Sitting Up - Email Updates Available

It’s been one month today.

Dad’s condition is steadily improving. It is hard to write updates because the improvements are so slow right now. I know many of you are checking for updates often, and others were checking often but it has become difficult because there haven’t been as many updates. We just added a tool to this blog that should make it easier for you to stay connected with what is happening…. Email updates.

You can type your email address in the bar at the top right hand corner of this webpage. When you have added your address, you will receive one daily email update from our blog (if there was not an update, you will not receive any emails). It is safe and backed by Google, and you can unsubscribe at any time. This should be an easy way for everyone to stay apprised. Things may be slowing down as far as recovery, but that is all the more reason to stay informed and pray. We will update as often as there is new news.

I went to the hospital yesterday to see Dad for the first time since Sunday (this has been a crazy week at church and CFM). I plan to visit him today, too.

When we arrived at the hospital Dad was in bed. However, the RN stepped in shortly after we were there and said that they were planning to move Dad into a chair! This is not the first time they have done this, but it is always exciting to hear they believe he is still physically able to sit up. They had us all leave for about 20min so they could move him into position.

When we came back Dad’s eyes were open and he was looking around. The speech therapist was in the room and was working with Dad. Now, just because his eyes are open does not mean he is awake. Dad is in what they call a “Random State”. This means he has random movements (often times these movements are meaningless), random times of brief awareness (he has about a 5 second attention span), and random responses. In this state, people are in a coma for the majority of the time.

The speech therapist was asking Dad questions and looking for response. Dad did squeeze his hand, but he would never give a “thumbs up”.

Probably the most encouraging thing that happened was when the therapist covered Dad’s trach and said, “GREG! What is your last name?” Dad responded in a whispered tone, “Werner”. It is so encouraging to see that my Dad is still here!

When the therapist left the room I sat with Dad for about 20min on my own. This was one of the first times I have been alone with him. Dad was looking around and staring into space most of the time. He would grab for the blanket on his lap and move his arms and hands in random, meaningless movements. Dad was out of it for most of the time I was in there. However, there was a few times where I would lean in close and look into Dad’s eyes and smile. I would have to stay in this position for a while until I caught his attention. When his eyes finally saw mine, he would smile and say, “Brandon”. It made me so happy that my Dad still knew me! I told him I loved him, that he was doing great, that he was sick in the hospital but getting better, and that he needed to keep fighting. After a few short seconds his eyes would wonder and he would be gone.

I miss my Dad so much. Sometimes it is easier to keep working and push through things so that I don’t have to think about the situation. I know this isn’t best because the reality is that my Dad is in a coma in the hospital. I cannot be fully available for prayer, service, and ministry if I don’t walk in the truth… no matter how painful it can be. So my choice is to walk with Jesus and allow Him to carry me. I believe God has a plan, and I am choosing to trust in His perfect plan.

I can feel your prayers… and so can our family. I know it is easy to let ongoing prayer requests drop as a situation seems to plateau. I have been able to tell that fewer prayers have been offered to some extent because I have been struggling more in my own heart. I would like to appeal to you to not stop praying. I know it is tough to pray for an extended period of time, but please don’t stop. We covet your prayers so much.

When you pray, pray for Dad’s recovery, for no long term injuries, for my mom’s health, and for our family to stay focused on the Lord and find peace in Him.

We will be going out of town on our last Character Focus children’s conference this next week. We will be back by May 18. Please pray for us as we work to finish strong. This has been the most difficult conference season ever due to the surrounding, consuming circumstances. It is hard, but it is so worth it! Already over twenty children have come to know Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior for the first time. We look forward to all God has planned for next week. As soon as we are back, I will write an update for this blog to give the final report. Please keep us in your prayers.

Thanks for all you are doing to serve our family. The best way you can serve us right now is to pray. Also, for those of you who are members at Western Hills, you can support our family by supporting Dad’s ministry. Please lead your families to be on time to church and to give what the Lord places on your heart. Dad loves each one of you so much and he would want to see your families stay strong and spiritually healthy while he is out.

This Sunday is Mother’s Day. It will be tough for our family to be without Dad on this first holiday. The kids are planning a time to honor our Mom on Mother’s Day, but she will miss Dad. Please pray for our family this week. Also, please pray for the Wells’ kids… it is easy to forget to do that because it is one of those “ongoing circumstances”. But it is so important to remember those who are hurting … especially on these days with special meanings.

More updates to come. Subscribe by email, follow on facebook, and check back often. Thanks for your prayers!

6 comments:

Jo Shnell said...

Thanks so much, Brandon, for keeping us updated. We continue with love and prayers, Jo Shnell

Morgan Ruckel said...

Thanks for the update. Your family is on my heart and in my prayers. Thank you for everything you do. God is working through this situation, I can see it. I love you guys to much, keep moving forward in the Mission.

Lots of Love,

Morgan Ruckel

Sherri said...

Dear Werners,
I am Kerri Jones's mom and wanted you to know we are praying for your dad and the family. What a privilege it has been to know Greg through his giving of himself to Kerri and Jason's family. Our church family at Draper Park Christian Church has Greg on its weekly prayer updated list.

God Bless,
Sherri Gambill

Vicki Jeanette Barrera said...

Thank you for the update. We are continuing to pray with you and for you, your Dad, Mother and the family. God bless you all.
Vicki Barrera

Unknown said...

We love your family so much. We are continuing to pray for you here in Korea. We are praying you continue to feel God's arm's around you.

Pamela woods

Lauren said...

I haven't stopped praying for you guys and your dad!! Thanks for the updates!