Sunday, June 12, 2011

Oh, Taste and See that IT IS GOOD!!!

Growing up I was always a fruits and veggies kind of girl. Not that I didn’t like all of the greasy and sugary things too but as a general rule I enjoyed almost all the fruits and veggies I was served. One of the veggies that didn’t make the cut for some reason was avocado. I didn’t like it on sandwiches or mashed up in guacamole. I didn’t completely despise the avocado I just didn’t care for it. Maybe it was a texture thing; I could never quite put my finger on it.

Anyways, Brandon’s taste buds have seemed to expand recently and as they do I am always trying to support that with new healthful yummy meals. He asked me if I could learn to make guacamole. My family liked guacamole growing up and so I had seen it made several times but wasn’t sure of the correct formula for guacamole perfection. I told him I should be able to figure it out and would give it my best shot.

Time out. Back up several months. In February, only a few weeks into this pregnancy, I was at my nieces birthday party. My sister had made some guacamole that looked very appealing. For some reason I had the urge to try guacamole, yet again. To my surprise it wasn’t too bad. I couldn’t stand over the bowl and eat a bunch but I went in for a second taste and maybe even a third. The flavor wasn’t bad. Texture, I could handle it. Still it seemed to be a bit rich.

Ok, back to present day. On Mother’s day we were at my parent’s house and the ingredients were all present to make guacamole for Brandon. My mom is a great cook, among other things, and so I knew she could teach me the winning recipe. Making the guacamole was even easier than I thought. The hardest part was knowing if it actually tasted good since it is a food I don’t like. (I also have this problem with seafood. It is one of Brandon’s FAVORITES but I don’t have the slightest idea how to make it or if it tastes good or is even done or still raw when I make it. Please send helpful tips my way.) After Brandon gave it a taste test he gave his stamp of approval. It looked yummy and I felt as though maybe if I tasted it I could memorize the flavor so in the future I would know if it was good. You know, making guacamole is a delicate balance of salt and lime. It took me several chips worth of guacamole to “memorize” the flavor and Brandon was right. It was quite good.

And then it happened. A couple days later early in the afternoon I had a thought. Guacamole. It sounded rather good at the moment. Maybe I could make up a batch to have with dinner, which was in no way guacamole related. I had all the ingredients…but the cilantro. Oh, well it wasn’t that big of a deal anyways and I would just make some next time I had cilantro on hand. The problem was that the craving intensified. When the girls nap ended I made the decision to run to the nearest store and get that cilantro.  After the decision was made I was toast. My mouth began to water; the guacamole was to be mine. YUM! Problem is this store was out of cilantro. OUT!!!! That was bad news for everyone. I called Brandon and got his voice mail at which time I informed him I was in crisis. This momma wanted guacamole and I wanted it now! I enlightened him to the seriousness of the situation by telling him if he couldn’t come home with cilantro in hand than he might as well not come home at all! It was an intense moment.  Just as I was about to pull into our driveway Brandon returned my call- it was bad news. He was already at our house when he got the message. Not cool! He said “Sorry” and acted like the world could go on. I SAID I WANT GUACAMOLE!!!!! My visions of guacamole had been torn to smeetherens all because 1.) the store was out of cilantro 2.) Brandon hadn’t answered his phone 3.) At $3.75/gallon of gas Brandon wasn’t willing to go get me some.

Ok, correction. He said I could go get some and after I pouted about it he said he would go get some. But I told him no. I could be mature about the situation. It was, after all, only a food we were dealing with. Certainly the craving would subside.

As I began to prepare the evening meal Brandon commented about how good dinner smelled. “yeah, whatever.” I quietly replied. “Doesn’t matter” I added sarcastically in a dreary voice.  Shortly thereafter I decided to invite over one of our friends who was in the city and out and about. She could come join us for dinner…if she brought cilantro. And she did just that.

And I was very happy.

And my mouth finally was at peace.

And I ate almost the whole batch of guacamole by myself.

And it was delightful.

And now we have guacamole on a regular basis.

And I am still loving it.
I have high hopes our relationship will last far into the future.
 
Now, if you will excuse me…the avocados are calling my name.
Not included in this picture is a roma tomato. An imortant factor in making MY guacamole!

No comments: