Thursday, June 23, 2011

With a Tripod and a Timer

Practicing photography is a tricky thing. Some of the greatest photographers I know can take some of the cutest pictures in the “ugliest” settings.  Anyways, my children although do enjoy having their picture taken as well as taking pictures they aren’t much for the letting Mom practice on them.

I really enjoy reading and looking at the photography of this talented mom’s blog. She inspired me to try taking some shots of myself.


Let’s just say things turned out better in my mind. :) Not that these are bad but it was quite challenging and I didn't get a lot of shots I had dreamed up in my mind.  
How do you decide how to pose yourself? It feels so awkward.

Why, yes, yes I do stand in front of short doorways with my arm stretched to the top of the door frame and think about...stuff. Like the fact that touching the top of a door frame with such ease normally doesn't happen for me. :)

As the timer counts down I assume the position of beauty....until the buzzing wasp make a bee line toward my head! Then I just look like a dork. Which is a much more natural look for me. :P

The above "dodge the wasp" picture is unedited which brings me to another subject. I was a bit bummed at how dark all of the pictures were. Yes, I do know of some settings I could have changed while actually taking the photo but on my little screen they looked better than this. It's hard to tell when you are outside. Sometimes I can't see my screen at all, other times the shots look good until I get them on the computer. Yay for editing programs. Currently I edit in lightroom.

Anybody have any good websites or books to read about editing photos? I have a hard time making them look right when I do a "natural" color.

There were two I tried to do a colored edit on but, when I did the exact same edit one of the pictures made my skin look very red. I shall keep learning-trial and error style...heavy on the error. I need to find my groove. This was my favorite color edit.
Well, it was a fun practice session anyways. And my best at documenting week 24 of my little man. Time is going by so quickly and I am more motivated to get stuff done! I set up the crib yesterday. Little man's room is almost ready! All I lack is finishing!



No comments: