Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Because I Laughed Until I Cried

Meet Katherine -also known as Kate or Katie or Katie-Kate. She is my second born. She adds…spice in my life. She snuggles sweetly and laughs contagiously. She is strong willed and independent…most of the time. She reminds me constantly that I will not survive parenting her without Jesus. Her blessed little personality makes me run to the foot of the cross often as I ask for wisdom and patience, patience, patience.

Notice her ornery expression.

She loves playing in the dirt before returning to her proper princess state!

Even when washed on a regular basis most often you will find Katherine's face looking something like this.

One of the things I love most about my sweet Kate is the way she makes us laugh. Rather with an expression or comment she brings laughter into our home.
Now, to fully appreciate the comedy of this situation you first need a little back ground for the terminology used in our house hold concerning a certain subject matter. When I was a little girl one of my aunts had a friend from Canada visiting. We hit it off with this friend and one night during her visit she was at my house. At some point during the course of that evening she said asked this six year old little girl “Did you fluff?” I giggled and asked what she meant. It was at that moment I introduced to the word fluff as a substitute for any other optional word for flatulence.  Are you feeling awkward here? Don’t. Flatulence is a normal part of life. The term fluff stuck around my family and I have done my duty to pass it on to my children. It is great because most people have no idea what you are referring to so when in the grocery store my two year old proudly and loudly exclaims that she just fluffed. People don’t giggle or stop and stare. Let’s face the reality that kids don’t generally say words like flatulence or “I passed gas”. We all know the terms that have brought many children (or adults) laughter for years on this, for whatever reason hilarious natural bodily function. Until my kids learn a bit more discretion I’d rather them be using the term fluff…that’s all I’m saying here.


Ok, now that we are all on the same page let’s get to the good part.
Last Saturday morning, our little family was having a great weekend breakfast of pancakes, bacon, and eggs. We had sat down together at the table and the giggles and laughter began to flow as Brandon started to make up songs about the girls. I don’t recall what brought about these lyrics exactly but to the tune of "Frere Jaques" (you do not want to know how long it took me to figure out how to spell that!) Brandon began to sing:


Who’s a fluff face?
Who’s a fluff face?
Katherine is! Katherine is!
Katherine is a fluff face, Katherine is a fluff face.
Yes, she is. Yes, she is!
This song of course brought about lots of laughter especially by Elizabeth…until it was her name inserted into the song. “Nooooo! I’m not a fluff face!!” This brought about rebutting arguments from the girls “Daddy is a fluff face!”  The songs and giggles continued  well into our morning meal. Soon we finished our breakfast and went on to other things.

Kate still in a happy mood and full of joy came running up to Brandon to tell him something of great importance to her. In mid-sentence out of her two year old princess body came this unexpected man-sized burp. It caught her off guard. Brandon cracked a smile as he said “Whoa! What was that!”

Without hesitation, or even a second thought Katie-Kate wisely declared “It was my Fluff Face!”

Bahahahahaha!!!!!! I would have enjoyed seeing her two year old little brain process that information as she came to that rather logical conclusion! I laughed so hard I was crying!
I quite like Kate. I am beginning to think I’ll keep her around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just had to laugh when I pictured our grandson say, I fluffed. Lol