Sunday, July 17, 2011

Climbing Shoes

I love it when I happen upon a good deal. It just excites me. Such excitement came the other day when I found a cute pair of pink converse sneakers in Elizabeth’s size at the local Salvation Army store for only a couple bucks. Liz wasn’t with me at the time but I knew she’d be thrilled with them when I got them home. Much to my disappointment she didn’t find them as interesting as I did and even went as far as showing no interest, actually even disinterest, in the new bargain shoes. I didn’t make a big deal about it because that generally just makes things worse.

Later that day we were going somewhere and it just so happened the sneakers matched perfectly with what she was wearing. I gave her the option between the pink sneakers and her white sandals. She wasn’t thrilled with either choice however at some point, I have no idea when, she claimed that these new shoes were her climbing shoes!


Not sure where she got the idea from but with these pink sneakers on she could now apparently climb high up into the trees. These shoes were not the average everyday shoes; they had special climbing abilities that could make tree climbing a cinch! I wondered for a minute if the picture in her mind was as dramatic as she made it seem. I felt as though the pink sneakers should have come with some kind of cape so as she stood proud at the top of the trees it could blow in the wind to show what the sneakers had allowed this wonder woman to accomplish. Whatever her visions were I was very happy the shoes had become her new favorites in just a matter of seconds.

The first day she wore them we didn’t have any trees to climb; same story on the second day. But she was diligent to look for any tree that the climbing shoes could help her climb. On Friday we went out to Tuterville and I was sure there would be the perfect climbing tree for Elizabeth and the sneakers to take on. The entire day went by without a word about tree climbing until we gathered our things to leave.
“Mom!” Liz exclaimed “We have to find a tree!” I couldn’t let her down this time. Tree climbing was on the agenda for the day and the perfect climbing tree we would find. I also thought that at 29 weeks pregnant I probably should not be the main one assisting with the climb. Grandaddy would make the perfect climbing partner and was available and willing to take part in the Great Tree Climb so off they went to find the perfect climbing tree.
The pink sneakers did their job to perfection and up, up, up she went.



Katherine was having none of this staying on the ground business. So as soon as Liz came down she began to make the climb up in her own version of climbing shoes. I think Grandaddy made the magic happen in Kate’s shoes and she was as happy as could be climbing with Grandaddy!




It brought a smile to my face as the girls were filled with such happiness and wonder at the accomplishment of the Great Tree Climb! These simple joys are things I don't want to let pass by as I spend day after day mothering my children. It's so easy to overlook them. My kids find such happiness in the small things. A lesson we can all be reminded of from time to time.

What brings a small smile to your face today? Be aware of the simple things and count it all joy!





1 comment:

The Mercado's & Family said...

What brings a smile to my face...Last night Kurby overcame his fears and at nearly 8 years old he let us take off his training wheels and he learned how to ride a bike. Wonderful moment for me!