Monday, September 26, 2011

State Fair: Trip One


Over the last year there have been a number of moments that I have cherished as a parent. About a week and a half ago we went to the Great State Fair of Oklahoma with our little family. We really enjoy the fair and normally go more than once.

(The girls got choosen to do the duck race. They were even on a short clip for the news as their duck tied for first place!)

It was a cloudy rainy day and despite the 102 temperatures just two days prior this day required long sleeves and a jacket.

For me the joy started when jumps and shouts filled the house after Brandon asked the question “Who wants to go to the fair?”  When pulling in the parking lot the excitement couldn’t be contained and again giggles and squeals filled the back seat. After getting in the gate as a parent we had to take care of “business” before getting involved in all the fun. Brandon pulled the girls off the main path out of the way and knelt down to their level. “Do you girls know what to do if you can’t find me or Mommy?” He began helping the girls make a plan should we become separated in the crowd. “Elizabeth, who can help you find us?” “Ummm” Elizabeth began as she contemplated before giving her confident answer “Jesus!” Brandon smiled “Yes, you could pray and ask Jesus to help you find us…there is another person here….” Brandon continued his safety speech. I couldn’t help but smile as my imagination saw little Brandon standing there years ago getting the same type of safety speech given by his dad to him.

We ended up getting tickets to the Disney on Ice show that evening. We came into the building where the show would be and excitement was in the air. Getting settled into our seats over the loud speaker came the announcement in that deep voice “Ladies, and Gentlemen, boys and girls the show will begin in five minutes!” Elizabeth gasped and quickly looked at me with glee on her face and sparkles in her eyes.   Soon after darkness filled the arena, music began to play, and the show was underway. My heart smiled, and call me ridiculous, but tears even came to my eyes as I watched my little girl so filled with wonder, engulfed in the lights, music, and action of the show. She sat there, cotton candy in hand, completely amazed. It made me happy as I remember being the little girl, filled with amazement and wonder completely engulfed in the show, setting next to my Aunt Rhonda who year after year took us to the ice capades at the fair. We would always ride in her blue Camaro, and she would spoil us rotten with the souvenirs from the event, cotton candy, a snow cone, and often times a ride on the camel out at the fair before we headed to the car. I had no idea how much money she spent on us and I’m sure I was never grateful enough! But the memories are beyond dear to my heart and I love getting to be in the other role now finding myself filled with joy as I watch…discovery.







 

There have been so many moments that I have been able to witness this wonder, excitement, and just plan joy as new discoveries are made. Memories are made. It’s priceless. Words don’t describe it but my heart holds each moment and fills in where my words can’t explain. 

Truly, one of the joys of parenting!

No comments: