Friday, February 02, 2007

The Worst Doctor's Visit Yet!

Today I had my routine appt., unfortunately I knew from the beginning this wasn't going to be all that pleasant. As you already know, even though Brandon was kind enough to have his blood tested he was RH+ which meant a Rhogam shot for me. : ( Let me start from the beginning.

When I got there this morning I had to tell them I was taking a gluco (blood sugar) test today and they needed to give me the stuff to drink. This stuff was an 8oz. glass of lime-flavored syrup. It actually wasn't all that bad to drink but it was VERY sweet. Upon the completion of the drink I began feeling a little light headed and nauseous. After a few minutes we were called back to the room.

There I spent most of my time lying down concentrating on keeping everything in my stomach. This lovely feeling was accompanied by hot flashes and the knowledge I still had a Rhogam shot on the way. After visiting with the midwife she gave me the shot. Although the shot wasn't pleasant she did a very good job giving it and Brandon gave me plenty of support. So, I made it through the regular visit - still not feeling well we headed to the lab for the blood work to be done to complete the sugar test.

When I was called back I assured Brandon I would be fine and he could just wait in the waiting room. Reluctantly he agreed. The Lady who drew my blood did a great job with the stick but didn't seem to be much of a people person. Upon entering the room I informed her of my nauseous/light headed state. She didn't say anything. As soon as she poked me and took the blood, my level of discomfort quickly elevated. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on breathing. She finished her thing and turned to the desk to start on paper work. I didn't move. Were finished she said. "Ok, that's great but I'm not leaving yet because I can't get out of this chair without either fainting or getting sick." I thought to myself. Obviously she wasn't too concerned, as she hadn't turned around to even see if I was ok. After another reminder from her that we were finished and no response from me she finally turns around.

"Hey! Are you Ok?" She asked. Now there's a thought, make sure your patient is ok before sending them on their way. Especially the ones that warned you they didn't feel good to begin with!!! Anyways, I informed her I was really nauseous and just needed a moment. Now she is actually acting concerned and gets me some wet paper towels. I asked for a bucket or something because I could feel the probability of me getting sick continue to increase at a rather rapid pace. She hands me the trash can.......from there is was not pretty. But afterward I felt a lot better. :) And the best part of all was I waited until after they drew the blood so the test was still fine. Next time Brandon offers to go with me I think I will accept. He is great! All that to say, I survived the shot and everything with the baby is still looking good.

Today is Jasmine's 1st birthday. We are going to her party tonight and will post on it soon.
Brandon and Rachael

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

Sorry that was so bad! At least you dont have to drink that stuff again....until you are pregnant again! =) Maybe next time you are pregnant, we will be pregnant together, that would be fun. But thanks for going through all this stuff....because I can't wait to be an Aunt! That is one experience you had before me. =)

Love ya!

~Big Sis

Anonymous said...

Sorry you felt so yucky. That stuff never made me feel bad. When will you get the results of the tests back? I really enjoy reading your blog. I check it everyday.

Aunt Diana