Saturday, July 03, 2010

Evil Serpent Now Where it Belongs!

While weed eating Thursday night Brandon accidentally chopped a snake that was UNDER OUR HOUSE!!! Ok, you have to understand, I am a country girl. I love good hard outdoor work. Killing bugs and spiders doesn’t bother me. Dirt? Bring it on. But snakes? Put me near a snake and I will squeel like a little girl and might even end up in a fetal position in a safe place.


(ok, fine. this is just how my imagination saw the snake but still...)

Actually, correction, I would try to find a safe place but it would be pointless because with snakes there is no safe place! So, now I must walk around with my eyes on guard searching for the nasty creatures. And I can’t just look down either. No, no, no my experience has found snakes to also be lurking above me. I walk with heavy feet hoping to scare the things before I see them. Now that I think about it that might not be the best idea. Cuz if I see one and then it disappears before it is killed…pandemonium. This happened once when I was a little girl. Early one morning mom walked in the bathroom to find a snake on the floor. Dad was already gone and no one else was up so she quickly went to get the phone to call 911. No just kidding, but help was needed! Papa Tuter was the one who got the blessed call. Besides where we lived Papa’s response time was much faster than 911’s even with him still being asleep upon the incoming of the call. By this time I was awake but the trouble had only begun. Mom, when calling for help, let that blasted snake out of her sight for just a moment, but that is all it took. I think the snake probably felt the hostility toward him and capitalized on mom’s error. That’s all it takes with snakes. One tiny error in judgment and boom you are now the preyed not the predator. Dad was already at work that morning but mom insisted he come home and find that snake! Mom and I bonded in a special way that morning while we huddled up on the kitchen table, feet and all, waiting for dad to save us. After the thirty minute drive home from the city dad patiently coaxed us down from our perch. Dad didn’t go back to work that day but instead went through who knows how many bottles of caulk sealing every hole in our house just to mom’s likings. Problem was dad did his job well. (Mom made sure of it!) But that snack hadn’t made a dash toward nature. Oh, no he went behind enemy lines! And now he had no way back out. One month later. Yes, ONE MONTH. I was going to pick up some toys that were on the floor in mom’s room but right before I did a slight movement caught her eye. The snack was underneath a night stand in her room. This time there was no error in judgment. Fortunately dad was home so I ran to get him. To the rescue he came. The snake would not see another sunrise.

I feel better after getting this out. I think it has helped in my coping process as you can clearly see I have been scarred by such snake experiences. I don’t wonder for a minute why in the garden of Eden the devil became the serpent. The creatures are just that..devilish.

And don’t give me that “it isn’t poisonous” or “it will eat bugs and mice”. It doesn’t help. (Refer to paragraph one.)

Sleep Tight but with one eye open!

(actual snake)


Rachael

Random Thought: What if that was the momma and there are babies under our house? OR what if that was the baby and now there is a really mad momma?!! AHHHH!!!!!

3 comments:

Nanny Norma said...

Rachael you are soooooo funny:) Iremember when you and mom spent the morning on the kitchen table. I also remember coming home from McLoud church to a copperhead hanging over the trailor front door as we almost opened the door. I hate snakes also because they do remind me of the UGLY serpent in the Garden of Eden:( I Love you XXXXOOOO

Brandon and Rachael said...

Nanny, that is one of the memories I had when I refer to finding them lurking above. Also recently a bull snake was on the top (outside) of my dad's office. Yuck!

HomeSchool Mommy said...

NO WAY! That snake is HUGE! I'm a country girl, too...but that snake is SCARY!