Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yummy Cakes and Such

Last night Britt and Lauren had an informational fundraiser dessert event. They are going to be joining the staff at the BSU at OU. Anyways, as a part of my contribution I jumped on the opportunity to make some dessert. I enjoy making dessert but don’t always do it because with the size our family I would, well, eat the large majority of the luscious dessert item, whatever it may be. It would certainly be the vast majority if it included chocolate. :) One of the desserts I made was a Chocolate Fudge Cake. Yum! My favorite part of this recipe was learning how simple it is to make chocolate curls.

My children never complain when I ask them to help me clean!


For Justin’s Birthday I wanted to try out a new circle cake pan I got. It is perfect for making all sorts of sports ball cakes. I didn’t know when the cake was going to be used until the morning of, so, I decided that instead of making my icing I would buy some canned. Unfortunately I bought whipped instead of regular and therefore the icing was very difficult to pipe on the cake and was indeed dripping off the bottom. The pan worked perfectly though! I’m still not exactly sure how they put icing on the underneath side of those cakes though. Guess I will have to try again sometime. Recently I have been struggling a bit with my cake decorating hobby. It takes a lot of time and patience. (Why I even picked up the hobby I’m not sure because the previously listed attributes don't describe me.) It is definitely not something to rush. Much more enjoyable when you have friends present.



Lizzy and I made this cake for Papa on his birthday but he wasn’t feeling well that day. Lizzy was convinced papa would share so we kept the cake at home. We thought about how much we loved papa and then we enjoyed his chocolate cake for him. (Why yes,yes, I did eat the vast majority of the cake. Did you really feel the need to point that out?)



Over the course of our summer events I brought out a childhood recipe that I LOVED growing up. Granny (my great grandmother) always made this for me every birthday! Of course her crust was made from scratch and her strawberries from the garden. I have taken the short cuts but the pie tastes great anyways. Something was special about Granny’s pie though. Maybe it was just her touch. It is my honor to take on the responsibility of keeping this recipe alive and past onto others in order to enhance their lives in some small way. Without further ado (don't questions my spelling abilities- I googled it!) I present the yummy recipe to...

Granny’s Strawberry Alaskan Pie
1 3oz. package Jello-Strawberry (or same flavor as fruit)
2/3C. Boiling Water
1C. Vanilla Ice Cream
1C. Fresh Strawberries (I use frozen sometimes)
3C. Cool Whip
Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Stir in ice cream until melted and smooth, add strawberries. Stir in cool whip. Pour into a graham cracker crust and chill for several hours.
Granny always made this in either a strawberry(my favorite) or peach version. I think it would be fun to play around with different jello/fruit combinations.

Your taste buds can than me later. :)
Rachael

Enjoy the simple things in life, like rainbows and chocolate!
This was out my back door the other day

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks a heap for this post...now I feel the need to go find something chocolate to eat! :)

Jessica said...

The chocolate cake looks amazing! I really don't enjoy cake decorating that much (like you said, it takes a lot of patience...and it's so sticky!!), but I love to see all the beautiful cakes you make!