Friday, July 02, 2010

Let's get up to date! by Rachael

Dad, let’s get you up to date! :)

April 9th (before the accident) you helped us lay do some lawn work including laying sod. You should be pleased to know we managed, with the help of others who watered for us a few times after the accident, to keep the sod alive and well! The girls love having a place to play! Thanks for the help!

The day of the accident more than 200 people came through the waiting area to give us their prayers love and support.. We hosted a prayer meeting in the chapel and we waited. Friends brought dinner for us. The Ruckel’s kept the girls so I didn’t have to worry about anything. It’s good to have friends. In the days that followed, we had more food than we could eat, more love than we deserved, and more willing ready hands to help in any way we needed. I am glad to be a part of the body of Christ!

April 22nd was Elizabeth’s 3rd birthday! I know, I can hardly believe it too! I feel like she is 5 not 3. She acts so grown up. All of our hearts were at the hospital and none of us really wanted to venture out. For Elizabeth a party isn’t the location it is the people, presents, cake and ice cream and we had it all. Visiting hours were closed from 6:30-8:00 each morning and evening so we had the party during that time. It worked out great. Originally I had found a place outside on the OU grounds to host the party but the chances of rain were too high and it was really windy so Grandma found a quite secluded lobby. It was perfect and Lizzy had a great time! Amanda Sauer made the cake for me. We like decorating cakes together and I figured cake making was one thing I could take off my to do list. Of course, Amanda was more than willing and she did a FANTASTIC job making Elizabeth a Dora cake! I couldn't tell her thank you enough times! Lizzy still talks about it! Her bithday was good for us. It was good to have a reason to find our happy.






One week to the day after the accident we had a big training for all of the Character Focus Conferences. It went really well and then conference season swept us up. And just as fast as it had come it was over. The Lord did some awesome things! Brandon really stepped up dad… you would have been proud to see it. I think he is keeping something from us because he can mulit-task. (GASP!) Certainly it wasn’t all him though. Many people filled in the gaps and together with the Lord blessing the conferences were a success. The Ruckel’s volunteered and worked so many hard hours and long nights. They really, really helped; as did many others.

In May we celebrated Mother’s day. Justin got the Chicken Pox so we waited until a later date to celebrate. We all went to eat at Outback Steakhouse…you bought. :) Thank You, it was very good.


Lauren’s Birthday was also in May as well as Britt and Lauren’s 1st wedding anniversary! We didn’t do anything together as a family but her and Britt went to Dallas for a little get-a-way.

Oh, yeah guess what!?! They blew up the old cowboy’s stadium! I know! Look up ‘Texas Stadium Implosion’ on youtube and you can see it. Go Cowboys! I’m glad we can watch football together again this year. Elizabeth sees anything with OU on it and she says “look mom, Boomer Sooner!”. However, we need to make sure to get the OU message through loud and clear. There are people that I trusted with my children who taught them “Go Pokes”!!! At the breakfast table randomly Elizabeth says “look mom, this is how we do ‘Go Pokes’”. I look over and she has both hands in the gun position. “Do you want to do it?” she asks “No, Elizabeth I don’t want to do it! Boomer Sooner!” I replied. Even Katherine does it! I trust you and Brandon will fix this problem.

The summer has come and we are in full summer activity mode. Lots of swimming! I always make sure Katherine has her life jacket on before we even get to the back yard because I’m pretty sure she would just go straight in. By the end of the summer she will know how to get to the top of the water and to the side by herself because if not the odds of her drowning are way to high. Elizabeth on the other hand is very cautious. She stands in the “I’m getting ready to jump in from the side” pose for what seems like forever. The other day Brandon worked with her for over an hour before she finally overcame her fear and jumped to him. Since then though everyday she says she wants to swim and although you can see her reservations she will trust Brandon and jump to him. Her main concern is that she doesn’t wasn’t to go under. Katherine does not share that concern…at all.
It takes Liz a long time to work up the courage to jump to daddy but each time we swim she gets better!

Katherine just chillin'!

And of course since the accident Mom has been driving your truck. She painted it pink and got a zebra print cover for the steering wheel. No, just kidding. We would never mess with your truck! You have taught us well. I even got to drive your truck for a while because we did the Garage Sale and I needed to haul stuff. I had it for about a week. I liked driving your truck. I could hear your voice in the truck when I was getting on the highway…”move over chicken lips, I am bigger than you are.” Hehe.

I’m glad you are reading this dad. We are all really grateful you are still here. What a testimony of the goodness of the Lord we all have. I have never seen the righteous forsaken. In death or life we will say blessed be the name of the Lord. I pray often for all those who have read the blog throughout this accident. Life is short and you may not have tomorrow to get to know Jesus. Get to know Him today! Don’t wait!

Rachael

No comments: