Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Update on Dad 4-27-10

Ummmm… wow. I think that is all I know to say to start this post. This weekend has been crazy and the week is only going to get busier. I want to first say how sorry I am that I have not been able to update this blog more often over the past several days. We do want to keep you all up to date because we value your prayers and we believe that pray works. I will continue to work to get to a computer and send updates your way.



I am writing this update from Tulsa, OK. As I type, Student Missionaries (aka young adults) from Western Hills Church are serving with Character Focus Ministries to reach children with the gospel of Jesus Christ. There were about one hundred children in attendance today at the conference. (I will get an accurate count soon).



Things have been crazy here. I am trying to do what my Dad has done for us for so many years. I value his leadership, organization, and attention to detail so much. I have been trying to run registration and logistics this year… something I can do but do not enjoy near as much. My heart is to be WITH the kids and Student Missionaries. The Lord has allowed me opportunities to speak truth to both the kids and the youth, but my attention has been divided because of the responsibilities that must be fulfilled. Dad is so gifted at logistical leadership.



Speaking of Dad… I am sure that is why you are here. :) Uncle Scott (Dad’s brother) is in town with Dad while I am in Tulsa. Here is the update as of last night:



After a fairly uneventful weekend where Greg was very quiet, like in a deep sleep his vitals jumped for a bit this morning with his temperature and respiration rising quite a bit.



This afternoon they are down and closer to range thankfully. He is very active right now with his right arm and some movement in his head/neck area. He is not awake but seems to be responding to his body/pain. While I would do anything to take it away it is also good to see him reacting physically in some way. They have done two x-rays to check new areas for injury.



I am reminded of how much and how often Christ has born my pain and suffering. How He has stood in my place. I am truly grateful. We ask Him to take Greg's burden and ease his pain during this time. We also are asking for Greg to awaken at God's appointed time.



Thank you to all who are praying, to all who have written, called and texted. Special thanks to my cousin Dennis for sitting with Greg at 5 am the past few days. We love you.



Please continue to pray and believe with us. My friend Justin reminded me today to keep asking, to keep believing as my Father loves to give good gifts to His children.



Uncle Scott added this to Dad’s report this morning through a text message:



Greg is very restless this morning. He continues to move his right arm a lot. He is also shifting his head and shoulders. I thought I saw his left side move so I held his left hand and, with some degree of strength, he pushed down with his left arm! Definite movement that I saw. He seems really uneasy. Almost agitated (as is to be expected), but that is good. Vitals are good. 37.2 C on temp (about normal). His heart rate is 93 and the respiration is at 23 (both are in a good, safe range). Coughing a lot and you can tell it hurts. The amount of movement makes it stressful but it is a good sign for recovery. He has moved his left shoulder/elbow numerous times. Eyes open for a few minutes. Strong grip on his right hand.


These updates are encouraging! It means that Dad is moving in the right direction. Obviously there is still a long road of recovery to travel. We value your prayers SO MUCH. I would not be taking time to write an update during this conference if we did not believe prayer was vitally important.


One last thing… just want to do a shout out to my brothers, Jonathan and Justin. They have been so faithful to serve with us at Character Focus for so many years. Justin cannot be here because of his injuries. Jonathan has started a new season of life and is now working full time at Hobby Lobby. I know both of them (as well as my dad) would be here if they could. I also want to say thanks to my sister, Lauren (aka Sally). She was so key in the successful launch of Character Focus. Love you, sis! And, of course, I would like to tell my mom I love you. You are such a warrior of faith and love. I am praying for you. Fight the good fight and lean on Jesus.


Many children have made decisions for the Lord at the conference today! Again, I will get more numbers for you soon. We have another day after this one so keep us in your prayers!

2 comments:

Brent Dirks said...

I started following your blog when Seul-Bee (Safiya) sent me a text message about the accident. I find myself waiting in anticipation for your next blog, hoping to read that your dad has woken up. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of trial and testing. Your faith seems to continue to persevere in spite of the difficulties. I trust that you are experiencing God's Shalom through many means of Grace.

Kim Deeds said...

God is awesome and He continues to show us glimmers of hope through little improvements in Greg! Hallelujah! We are still praying!