Friday, April 16, 2010

Update on Dad and Justin (Thursday Night)

First, add Ireland to the list of international places where people are praying for Dad. The prayer chain in America is growing quickly, too. Thank you for praying... pray that Dad would wake up.

Justin was discharged from the hospital today and moved to a rehab facility. He is really enjoying his new room. Terry and Luke are staying with Justin tonight. He is right by the church, so I will get to see him nearly every day.

Justin’s needs are a little specialized. He fractured a bone in his shoulder on the same side that he broke his ankle. This makes it hard to move around because he is not allowed to put weight on the shoulder or ankle for at least four weeks. In rehab, Justin will learn the ropes on how to work muscles, move around, etc.

Dad is in ICU. The doctors did another CT of his pelvis to check his progress. We will know the results sometime tomorrow. The medical staff cleaned him up and adjusted him. The prayer request has been that Dad would wake up. While they were cleaning him up, the nurses said he opened his eyes for a few minutes and moved his arms! This is a great sign, but it does not mean he is awake. We need to keep praying for God to continue to work in his body and cause him to wake up from the sedation.

Tonight was the Wild Game Feast that my dad organized and prepared. It was tough for me to attend, but it was a great success. Dad would be proud. I could picture what my dad would be doing, and I saw him in projects and tasks everywhere I turned. Dad is such an awesome guy. He is so capable and efficient. His Glory Seals were helping with the event tonight; he would be so proud of all of them. Odus Compton filled Dad’s shoes in overseeing the event; Dad would be so grateful for all his friends.

Things went off without a hitch. There were several salvation decisions, and I would say at least a couple hundred men in attendance. Brother Steve Harris did a great job. I cried as I listened to Steve share about God’s love and mercy for mankind evident through the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ. What an amazing God we serve – that He would be involved in the affairs of men.

Steve shared 5 truths: There is a God, man is sinful, man is separated from God by sin, Jesus shed His blood to cover our sin, and we can be made right with God only through the person of Jesus Christ. It is the truth and it’s all in the Bible. I hope you believe it and live it.

I will update you with exact numbers about the night when I have them. For now, please just mark your calendars to attend church this Sunday morning at Western Hills at 10am to hear Brother Steve. Visit www.westernhillschurch.com for details and directions.

Oh, April and May are affectionately known as “conference season” in my families household. Rachael and I have a non-profit organization whose purpose is to disciple young adults and share the love of Jesus with children. These two months are where we host all of our children’s programs. There is more information at www.characterfocus.com.

I say all that to say that I really, really appreciate the Ruckel family and the Boyd family (families from our church) for stepping in and handling everything so I can serve my family. It is NOT an easy task. They are doing such a great job and it ministers to me so much. Many people are giving their time, energy, and resources to make these conferences happen, but their leadership and work is what is making it possible this year. Thank you all so much.

I guess that is enough chatting for tonight. One last thought: 1 John 4:1 tells us, “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God.” In a situation like this there are lots of thoughts that enter our minds. We are encouraged in God’s Word to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. As thoughts enter my mind, I am challenged by the Holy Spirit (dwelling in me ever since I believed on Jesus) to examine them to determine if they are true or false. By doing this, I am keeping my mind fixed on Jesus and avoiding satan’s traps. I am not perfect at this by any means, but I know the Lord is showing me how important this is. I would encourage you to pray for Dad and to take every though captive. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. We love you all and appreciate your prayers.

“Lord Jesus, please wake up my Dad. Whatever the outcome, we trust in You. Amen.”

2 comments:

Samantha said...

You can add Scotland to your list of prayers. I will pray for your whole family.

Desiree said...

Brandon, I am a friend of your Uncle Scott. I just want to say thank you for the updates on your dad and brother. I know that so many are praying and it is so helpful to know specifically what to pray for. Your family's faith is shining so bright through this difficult time! Continuing to pray that you will always feel God's presence throughout this journey.