Sunday, April 18, 2010

Update on Dad (Sunday Afternoon)

Dad has reacted to stimulation in several ways over the past 24 hours. When they suctioned out his lungs he lifted both his arms and squeezed Mom’s hand. Dad also blinked his eyes four times as Mom was talking with him.

The doctors say that this is a really good sign. We just want him to continue to respond in small ways. In recovery there are always ups and downs. Picture the stock market – things change often, but as long as the overall condition is improving, it is a good sign.

Dad does have an infection and pneumonia. Right now levels are non-threatening, but there are definite risks. We need to pray that God would heal him of the infection and pneumonia. This is the greatest prayer request at this time.

Dad is scheduled to have surgery at some point tomorrow. The doctors will monitor his health and condition to make sure he is physically able. The surgery will be on the front of his pelvis. The external fixator has been effective but has not solved the problem. They plan to insert a plate and some screws to pull all the bones together so they can heal. In most cases the hardware is permanent. If things go really well, they may be able to remove the external fixator altogether.

Dad is back on blood thinners to help prevent blood clotting. We need to also pray that God would protect Dad from clots as he lies still on a hospital bed.

Please pray:
1. That Dad would be healthy enough for surgery tomorrow (this will help him long term and the window of opportunity is small)
2. That Dad would be healed of infections and pneumonia
3. That Dad would not develop any blood clots.
4. That the Lord would bless my Mom, heal her of her health condition, and give her strength

Mom is doing well, but I know that she is suffering. Dad always takes such good care of her. Please pray that God would meet all her needs.

We love you all. Thank you to all our friends and family who visited us in the hospital today. We want to ask you to continue to wait in the downstairs waiting room until we know results from Dad’s surgery. It has been such a blessing to our family and to the other people in ICU to keep the ICU waiting room quiet. Thanks for serving us in this way.

Please don’t stop praying! I will keep you updated, and I will post the scheduled operation time as soon as we are privileged to that information.

2 comments:

karen hopkins said...

For Greg, his family and friends.. May the Lord settle His spirit among you all today. And to Greg, may the Air of Jesus be settling, clean and strong into this man of God. May you all find the Lord breathing new life, and new healing hope to you in this time of uncertainty.
Praying from eastern Oregon.. and from dear friends of mine in Scotland today..


Fill up, in me, new Life, O God -
with Your Spirit that brings such peace
I come to you , Lord, just as I am
may your Redemption never cease.

Fill me with your breath of life
Lord, nestle me deeper into your arms above
Come, Lord Jesus, may I find rest in You
Oh Jesus, here is my life, devotion and love.

Let me breathe deeper, Lord, this I ask of You
let me drink in your Presence, oh so sweet
Fill me Father, with power,strength and might
In my weakness, Lord, raise me to my feet.

I come, King Jesus, oh here I am -
Reign down healing, and Glorious power
Lord, fill me as I take each new breath
You are my refuge; my Highest standing tower.

Yes, draw me into Your presence, God
draw into me your arms of comfort and care
my Redeemer and King, oh here I am
fill my spirit deeper with life sustaining air.

Nick said...

Hey this is Nick Geisler.

I am also praying for all of you. We are having a revival at our church this week, and I will definitely have us all pray for your Dad during the services.

I pray all goes well with the surgery today.